Episode 024: Jessica Kupferman and Elsie Escobar of She Podcasts
with Your Host: D’vorah Lansky
Description of Today’s Episode: My guests today are Jessica Kupferman and Elsie Escobar, creators of She Podcasts and Podcasting School for Women. Jessica and Elsie are passionate about building a community of women who can share podcasting goals and successes in a positive and supportive environment. In this episode, Jess and Elsie will give us a behind the scenes peak into the creation of their popular show and their content creation methods. They discuss some of the ways to make it easier for your community to connect with you and leave us with some helpful tips for podcasters looking to make the leap into the podcasting world!
|Episode 024: Jessica Kupferman and Elsie Escobar of She Podcasts
|Listen in to this episode (and the entire series) over on iTunes|
Jessica Kupferman is the founder and co-host of She Podcasts and the host of Lady Business Radio, a podcast currently being featured on the home page of iTunes in the “Inspiring Women’s Voices” section. She is also the creator of Podcasting School for Women, and is dedicated to helping women launch the shows of their dreams. She is currently working as a Podcasting Consultant when she’s not geeking out on pop culture or playing with her new son, Isaac.
Elsie Escobar works in the cross-section of technology, digital media & holistic living with a heavy bias on podcast production and the creative use of audio. Co-founder of Podcasting School For Women with Jessica Kupferman. Her services include Digital Media Strategy and Development with a podcasting focus and creating powerful innovative digital media strategies that build community. She’s currently the co-host of She Podcasts a show about podcasting and media from a woman’s point of view and The Feed: The Official Libsyn podcast, whose key focus is on keeping podcasters podcasting. Elsie is the Social Media Community Manager at Libsyn the worldís largest podcast network and host
Main Questions Asked
- How did you each get started podcasting?
- Can you tell us about your She Podcasts podcast and community?
- You did something really interesting with your shout-out episode, please tell us about that.
- You co-host with such great energy and synergy, how do you do that?
- What is important to focus on to gain more listeners?
- What do you mean when you say “podcasting is a long term relationship?”
Key Lessons Learned
- Doing a shout-out show was a very successful adventure that took an extreme amount of editing and show note work.
- Talking is easy when you are passionate about your topic. Pick one main topic and two or three points to hit upon during the program and let the rest flow like a comfortable, natural conversation.
- iTunes algorithms do not translate into your listener base. What’s vital is reputation. You will need to be credible, reliable and consistent for your listeners so they can feel confident coming back to you.
- The easier it is for your listeners to contact you the better. Show notes can be directly linked to iTunes so they are more accessible for listeners. Also, you can provide URLs to your community in the podcast description.
Benefits of Podcasting
- Provide you with the ideal opportunity to connect with your community on a personal level that they can relate to.
- Chance to continue community growth through the use of touch points with your listeners.
Jess and Elsie’s Podcasting Tips
- Don’t fret about growth. Podcasts are less sedentary than reading blogs or watching video. People are on the go so it’s harder for them to remember to comment. It will take time and effort but if you provide easy opportunities for listeners to connect and be patient eventually your community will grow.
- Make sure that you dedicate the time to the task of podcasting that it deserves and you can continue to do so long into the future.
Links to Resources Mentioned
- She Podcasts: http://shepodcasts.com/itunes
- Lady Business Radio: http://bit.ly/ladybizitunes
- Podcasting School for Women: http://podcastingsuccesssecrets.com/podcasting-school-for-women